A superb defensive effort has seen the BNZ Crusaders overcome the Brumbies 21-8 in Canberra and move to the top of the Super Rugby standings.
Watch the Match Highlights video here.
After being stunned in the opening minute by a try to blockbusting Brumbies wing Henry Speight, the Crusaders completely shut down the Brumbies attack for the remaining 79 minutes to pick up their eighth straight win against the Canberra-based side.
180428 BrumbiesvCrusaders 027
Even when they were reduced to 13-men in the 60th minute due to yellow cards to Scott Barrett and Ryan Crotty for repeated infringements, their defence held firm. 
While the BNZ Crusaders won the game with their defence in a scoreless second half, the Brumbies were left to rue a costly yellow card in the 20th minute. Brumbies wing Chance Peni was shown the yellow card for a dangerous tackle on his opposite Israel Dagg which sent the Crusaders wing to the sideline.

With the Brumbies down to 14-men, and Manasa Mataele on in place of Dagg, the BNZ Crusaders took full advantage with two tries to replacement Mataele to extend their lead to 21-5. Mataele had reasonably easy finishes for both tries, with the Crusaders trademark ball recycling and slick passing setting up the replacement wing for his sixth and seventh tries of the Super Rugby season.
The Brumbies added a penalty late in the half to make it 21-8 at the break.
There was to be no addition to the score in the second half as the Brumbies dominated territory and possession but just couldn’t break through the BNZ Crusaders' watertight defence.

BNZ Crusaders captain Sam Whitelock said: “Having two guys in the bin is never nice but full credit to the boys that stayed out there. They remained calm and we worked through those issues of having two guys on the sideline."
 The BNZ Crusaders now head to Melbourne to take on the Rebels next week, while the Brumbies have a bye.

SCORERS: Brumbies: 8 (Henry Speight try, Wharenui Hawera pen) BNZ Crusaders: 21 (Tim Bateman, Manasa Mataele 2 tries, Mike Delany 3 con)
HT: 8-21
Match report courtesy of www.superrugby.co.nz